Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Me and the Lady Dragon



OK, so I had planned with my guild to run the Oculus last night, and we had to wait for our tank for a little while because he had some visitors. Anyway, I was bored enough, and decided "Well, let's go try and solo Onyxia." I had read an article about a Shaman and a discipline Priest each soloing her, and decided I would try for myself. I could not take video, but I did get some screen shots, which I may post later.

It took me 53 minutes, but I did it! The air phase took quite a while, since I had to AoE down whelps and run around trying to find Onyxia in the air so I could hit her and get her down to 40%. It was fun, though. The ground phase was just like fighting any other mob, so it wasn't that difficult. With Fire Resistance Aura up, her fire damage was negligible, and I kept Sacred Shield up most of the time to keep my health near full. I never ran out of mana because of Divine Plea and Seal of Wisdom. Just using the paladin abilities.

For my efforts? 163 gold, a warrior and rogue T2 helmet, some random blues, and an 18 slot bag. Not a bad haul, among another epic cloak and the head (which I had already turned in before). If you are bored some day, I suggest you give it a shot. Certain classes probably can't do it, like mages or rogues, just because of their inability to heal themselves. But it is definitely a challenge for anyone willing to try.

And, we did get that Oculus run in, and I got myself a new chestpiece. Not the plate one I was looking for, but a very nice mail one that I will probably wear until I can get the plate. It was a ncie instance, but we had some trouble with it because none of us had ever been there before. The third boss wiped us a couple of times until we realized that I could just heal through the frost trap, and we killed him the next attempt. The kiting around the ring just took too much effort and caused confusion, so the tank just tanked near one pillar and the ranged dps stood near the other. Worked out great. The dragon fight at the end was cool, but that also took us a couple of tries to get used to the mechanics. I definitely think the next time we go through will be much easier. All in all, a pretty good instance, and has some pretty good loot for everyone.

PS - I also won the roll on the Winter Hat! Ya for Winter's Veil....even though I'm not that interested in it this year. Still a bit burned out from all those Halloween achievements I did for that title. Who's loving the holiday this year?

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to give that a shot. Do you remember what types of dragon's you guys took because that last boss is cake with two green, two red, and one bronze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took one red, one green, and three bronze. Next time I'll convince the group to take your combination. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete