Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship w/ Wintergrasp




Ya know, Wintergrasp is great.  Siege vehicles, lots of honor, destructible buildings, and incentives.  I love it.

But, Wintergrasp sucks.  People don't understand it.  Siege vehicles, unlimited amount of players, lag, no role for healers.


Alright, Wintergrasp.  You are great, but you suck at the same time.

I love riding in a siege vehicle, hurling fireballs at walls and knocking back hordies with my knock-back thingamajigger.  I love getting 3k honor even if we lose (often in 10 mins or less, which makes the honor/hr unbelievably worth it).  I love killing Archavon for easy Emblems and a chance at Tier 7/S5 gear.  It's great.

But I hate (HATE) when people don't understand how to win.  Running around on your mount is near useless when you are trying to capture it.  Get in a vehicle and attack the walls please.  I hate Siege vehicles and HAVING to use them for "PvP."  It's not about my player skill, its about how well I can mash 1 or 2 buttons and aim a boulder at a wall.  I hate how, as a healer most of the time, I can't really do ANYTHING to help out my teammates except for be in a vehicle.  I can't heal the vehicles, either.  When my vehicle gets destroyed, I am out in the open for 29 hordies to destroy and I can't do anything to any of them, even with Tenacity.

And Tenacity! Oh Tenacity...how I hate thee.  Tenacity "levels the playing field" right?  WRONG.  I don't care if I have 70k health!  I am surrounded by 30+ horde instantly, and no amount of health is going to get me out of a chain of stuns and crits.

My server is heavily (not as heavily as some) horde favored.  Last I knew, it was about 3:1.  The number of raiding/PvPing level 80s is much more unbalanced in my experience.  I don't care how many stacks of Tenacity I and my teammates have, we are outnumbered every time.  Every. Single. Time.  Generally, we get somewhere around 30-35 people fighting for Wintergrasp, depending on the time that can reach 50-55.  

The problem is the number of Horde that show up for the fight.  During off times, when we have 20-30, they generally come in with 60-70 people and just utterly destroy usl  During peak times, when we can maybe get 50, they show up with well over 100 people.  No amount of tenacity is going to help us when we have that many people burning down our vehicles.  Its just not going to happen.

So, Wintergrasp, I will continue to endure your painfully fun, yet annoying, game for the good honor and Commendations in hopes of someday being at least a little competitive in the Arenas.

P.S. - Tenacity sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment